Saturday, April 25, 2009

I'M DONE!!!!



A lot has happened in my life. I am going to try and summarize it all!!

On March 2, 2009 I started at my last facility. It was SO overwhelming on the first day. Everyone at HealthSouth is so amazing and intelligent. I was really nervous that first day. I totally felt under qualified for this facility. My first week my CI (clinical instructor) was not there so I got to observe and swim in the pool. I worked with Kim. She was and still is so nice and always willing to help. She even let me get into the pool with a patient and do some balance activities. I loved it! She was great. The next week Jason was back and he is SO smart! Oh my goodness!! I learned so much from him. unfortunately the first day I worked with him I had a breakdown and totally cried in front of him. I was feeling so overwhelmed and everything had been building up. I was nervous about not being able to think like a therapist. So after he let me cry it out I felt SO much better.

I was there for eight weeks. I feel like in those weeks I grew in to a therapist and a more intelligent person. And I have to thank Jason for that. He pushed me to think outside of the box and critically think about why I doing this? How is this going to help my patient become more independent. I love working. I am not as nervous to get a new patient and different diagnoses. I am ready for the challenges! I am so excited to become an adult and working at a career that I LOVE!! I love helping people and seeing that I am making a difference. I can see that what I do is improving my patient's quality of life. It is so rewarding. I have met some of the most amazing people through my clinicals, and some good friends that I want stay close with. Through this whole school experience I have met people that I love dearly.

Well April 24th was my last day at HealthSouth and as a Student Physical Therapist Assistant. I can't believe that two years has already pasted by. I can tell that I have changed so much since I started this program. I used to be so so so shy and wasn't able to look at anyone or talk to strangers. And now I touch strangers all the time.

Last Monday I got to go back to Provo College. To that cozy little classroom to see all my classmates and friends! It was so surreal to be there and know that I was done! We had to fill out like two hours worth of paperwork, then we were able to take our final. Gah! I was SO Nervous! Like crazy nervous. That test was the deciding factor if I was to graduate! I was a wreck! Luckily my dad gave me a blessing and it helped me relax and focus on the test. It was amazing! I passed!! I am legit!! :) Woot woot!! I am an official physical therapist assistant!! :) It feels so good to be done!! I couldn't believe it!! To celebrate my dear friend Erin and I went to Olive Garden and got our hair done. We thought that we deserved a little pampering after all our hard work. :)

The next day was just as nerve racking, well pretty close. I had two interviews for potential jobs. They both went just great! I interviewed at Intermountain Healthcare for an on-call PTA and at Agility Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine for a Home Health position. I have a follow-up interview with IHC tomorrow!! I am really excited. And friend from class, Jonny, is also interviewing tomorrow. I hope that we both get the job. That would be awesome! :)

No comments: